ADSM-L

Re: TSM NT 3.1.7 GUI Error Message

1999-10-29 11:11:34
Subject: Re: TSM NT 3.1.7 GUI Error Message
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:11:34 -0700
Hello Bill,

First, what media are you installing TSM from? CD-ROM or
ftp download? Also, are you installing the stand-alone
client, or is it from the server CD-ROM or server PTF
downloaded from the ftp site?

Next, what version/service pack of Windows are you
running?

Can you please confirm the version number of TSM that you
are running? There is no version 3.1.7, but the latest
version is 3.7.1. There is also a version 3.1.0.7, so this
is why I am uncertain about this. To confirm the version
number, please go to the directory where you installed TSM
and run the following command:

DSMC QUIT

This will cause the product name/version banner to be
displayed. What does the banner show? Also, how large
is DSM.EXE (please provide the exact byte count).

If the version number shows 3.7.0, then please obtain
3.7.1 from our ftp site, and try installing it. But if
the version shows 3.7.1 then continue:

1) Using Windows Explorer, locate the file "mfc42.dll" in
   the \winnt\system32 directory.
2) Right-click on mfc42.dll, then select "Properties".
3) Click on the "Version" tab.
4) What does it show for "File version"? If you are running
   TSM 3.7.1, then the version should be 6.00.8447.0.

If the mfc42.dll version looks correct, then can you please
search your entire system for all files called "mfc42.dll"?
I would be looking for a version that might be conflicting
with the one in \winnt\system32. Also, what is your PATH
setting?

If you only show the one mfc42.dll in \winnt\system32 AND
it is not version 6.00.8447.0, then perform the install one
more time. You *should* be told that you need to reboot.
If this is the case, choose to reboot later. Then go to
the \winnt\system32 directory, and issue this command:

DIR *.? /A-D

What does it show? I would expect to see a file called
"mfc42.1", which would be renamed on boot-up.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

E.J.

Rebooted several times. I also went as far as re-installing the software.

Bill

"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL> on 10/28/99 06:58:02 AM