ADSM-L

Re: Problem Extending ADSM Database

1999-10-28 19:27:54
Subject: Re: Problem Extending ADSM Database
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:27:54 +1300
Hello....

> In the operating system I can use the device /dev/dsk/c0t4d0s0 to create
> a filesystem so I think there is a previous step to "prepare" the device
> to allow ADSM accept it as a database volume.

I have found two traps making using ADSM use raw volumes on Suns.

The first is that ADSM will not let you use the first cylinder of a
physical disk.  The first blocks hold the partition table and volume
label.  ADSM does not skip the first sector and so would overwrite the
volume label.  All is fine until you restart the machine and suddenly
it does not see the partitions!

Solution:  make the partition start on cylinder 1.

Second: ADSM checks if there is file system on the disk before using
it.  It does this by trying to mount the partition as a file system!
It the mount succeeds the define fails.

You may have a message in the activity log saying it found a file
system, but when I was trying this there was just "volume not
available" with no further clues.

New disks from Sun ship partitioned and with empty file systems on them.

Solution:  again, make the raw partition start at cylinder 1.

Or...
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/.... count=1024
 to blow away the first superblocks so the mount fails.

Don't do this unless you are REALLY REALLY sure you have that command
correct.  To undo that operation you would have to create the
filesystem and restore the data from backup.

Russell