ADSM-L

Re: Decommissioned Nodes

1999-10-19 14:10:46
Subject: Re: Decommissioned Nodes
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:10:46 -0400
Chris -

The procedure would be something like this....

1.  Run an Export Node, specifying "all".  This will copy all of the data,
and node information to a tape or tapes.

2.  The Export does not do anything to what is on the DB, so after the export
is complete, to remove the DB entries, you must delete the file spaces and
the node definition.  This actually frees up the space.

3.  The tapes from the export are not managed by ADSM directly.  (I think
there may be a vol history entry, though.)  The best methods will be the
manual ones that you create - the Export will write information to the
activity log about the export, tape volumes, etc.  Record this information
CAREFULLY.

The downside of this process is for restores - you must run an Import to
bring the filespace back, and then you can restore the file.  Of course this
means that the node will be added back in too.  Of course, once the files are
restored, assuming they are to a different node, you can delete the
filespaces and node for the decommissioned guy again.

Hope this helps
Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    10/19/99 9:29 AM

Thanks Allen!

What I'm trying to do is the later.  My database size is getting to big and
I would like to export a bunch of decommissioned nodes...to reduce my
database size...but still be able to restore any of that data later if
needed.

Will I still be able to import that node and file space into the database
after it has been removed from the database?

Thanks,

Chris