ADSM-L

Re: Decommissioned Nodes

1999-10-19 09:28:54
Subject: Re: Decommissioned Nodes
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:28:54 -0400
=> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:04:00 -0400, "Johnson, Chris E." <Chris.Johnson AT
MARRIOTT DOT COM> said:

> I have some nodes in my database that have been decommissioned that I would
> like to remove from my database.  The problem is that I still need to keep
> the data around in case someone needs something restored from the nodes.  Is
> there a way to remove the nodes and file spaces from the DB and still be
> able to possibly restore the data later?  I know with ARCserve this was
> possible since ARCserve keeps a copy of the DB for each tape on each tape
> (make sense?).

Presuming that your goal is to be able to use those names for new nodes, I'd
suggest renaming the old nodes; we have several machines we decomissioned a
year or so ago, and new ones under their names are cropping up.  We just
change them to BLAHNODE-OLD and soldier on.

I'm betting you don't really want to "remove them from the database", though:
I'm not sure what value you anticipate, if you want to remove the label
"mynode" from the database, yet keep all the records of which file, changed
when, lives where on what volume.  In any case, ADSM won't let you delete the
node definition unless you've already cleared out the data.

If, on the other hand, your goal is to reduce ADSM database size, you should
look into EXPORT NODE, which will let you distill a node down to a tape or two
on the wall.  Of course, you thn have to IMPORT it to get any use out of it.

Allen S. Rout