ADSM-L

Re: Invisible tape volume.

1999-09-29 14:12:00
Subject: Re: Invisible tape volume.
From: Bob Brazner <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:12:00 -0500
Angel,

We "lose" tapes like this occasionally, too.  Usually, it occurs when we
shutdown ADSM while tapes are still mounted in the 3590 drives (in our 3494
library).  For some reason, when ADSM starts up again, ADSM (or the 3494) is
not smart enough to "see" the tapes that are still hanging around in the
drives.  As a result, the startup tape audit flags the tape(s) as not found
resulting in the LIBVOLUME(s) being deleted and the VOLUME(s) being updated
with an ACCESS of UNAVAILABLE.  Here's what I do to correct the situation.

1) Query the ATL to ensure the tape is in the 012C (in use) category.
2) Issue ADSM command: checkin libv 3590tape xxxxxx devt=3590 status=private
checkl=no (your parameters may be different for your ATL, but the important one
is status=private)
3) Issue ADSM command: update vol xxxxxx acc=readw

That's all there is.  There is no need to open the ATL.  Now, your exact
situation could be different.  But I still feel you should be able to use ADSM
and mtlib commands to correct things without have to open the box.  The
important thing to remember is all three objects (VOL, LIBVolume, and ATL) need
to agree with each other.

Bob Brazner