ADSM-L

Backup ORACLE DB offline

1999-09-05 16:11:55
Subject: Backup ORACLE DB offline
From: Robin Sharpe <robin_sharpe AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:11:55 PDT
Here's what we do...

On daily backups, my backup script does a 'df -nl' command and picks out all
filesystems on the client that are NOT Oracle Table Space filesystems.
(This requires that you are pretty good with naming conventions... in our
shop any file system with "oracle" and "data" in the path are Table Space
file systems.)  This list is then appended to the dsm.opt file as a domain
list  (just put "domain " in front of the filesystem name.)  This way, our
daily backups only look at filesystems that DO NOT contain Oracle Table
Spaces.  On the weekly backups, there is no special filesystem logic (no
domain list) so we get all local filesystems, including the Table Spaces.
Of course, we shut down all Oracle instances before the weekly backup (not
necessary on dailies).

We did it this way, because we didn't want to have a separate ADSM node for
Oracle stuff... which you must do if you use "exclude", otherwise ADSM will
delete (make inactive, actually) you weekly backups on the next daily after
a weekly... but I guess you already know that.

As fate would have it, we later had to establish additional ADSM nodes
anyway to handle monthly backups, which have different retention critera.
Oh well.

We also tried archives for the monthlies, but ADSM followed symbolic links
and backed up separate data copies for each link... almost tripled the
amount of data backed up on the node we were testing with!  I believe this
has been made an option in the latest client, but we haven't revisited it
yet.