ADSM-L

Backing NT NTFS Filesystems

1999-08-31 09:12:47
Subject: Backing NT NTFS Filesystems
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:12:47 -0400
Hi All,

     I am NT-ignorant, but need to find out some info about NTFS
filesystems in terms of ADSM backups.  Recently, one of our NT Admins here
modified the access permission on an NTFS filesystem, and that night, ADSM
proceeded to rebackup the entire files, not just the modified permissions.
Is this normal for NTFS filesystems?  A simple change in permissions
forces the entire file to be re-backed-up?  If so, then either NTFS is a
poorly designed filesystem, or ADSM's NT client is poorly designed.  I
think I stand a much better chance of getting this behaviour fixed if the
problem is in the ADSM NT client, rather than NTFS.

Can anyone confirm or explain what I am seeing?

Thanks,

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,