ADSM-L

DSMADMC Output Format

1999-08-25 16:39:33
Subject: DSMADMC Output Format
From: "Varney, Patrick" <PAV5 AT PGE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:39:33 -0700
Hello all,

I am working on a script (the current one is in perl, but I get the same
results in a ksh script) that processes information from DSMADMC in batch
mode, but am having a problem getting the output to come out the way I want
it. For example, if I run the following command in interactive mode, I get
the output formatted as shown:

adsm> query node abc* format=detailed

                     Node Name: ABCDWS03A
                      Platform: (?)
            Policy Domain Name: ABC_DOMAIN
         Last Access Date/Time: 01/13/1997 17:11:04
        Days Since Last Access: 10
        Password Set Date/Time: 01/13/1997 17:11:04
       Days Since Password Set: 123
                       Locked?: No
                and so on.....

But when I run the same command in batch mode within the perl script or just
redirect it to a file, I get the long column type output which is difficult
to process in a script due to the line continuations:

Node Name      Platform     Policy           Last    and so on....
                            Domain          Access
                            Name          Date/Time
------------   --------     ---------     ----------
ABCDWS03A      (?)          ABC_DOMA-     01/13/1997 and so on....
ABCDWS03A      (?)          ABC_DOMA-     01/13/1997 and so on....
                             IN            17:11:04

I realize that it automatically formats the output based on how much room it
has, but I was wondering if there is an option to configure the output
format or fool it into thinking that it has a small output window. Or is
there a better way to get this information?

I originally tried this on a Sun Solaris 7 client, but have had the same
results on an NT 4.0 client. The server version is 2, Release 1, Level 5.19.

Any help would be appreciated,

Patrick Varney, MCSE
Pacific Gas & Electric Company
Fairfield, CA, USA