ADSM-L

DIMRC query

1999-08-19 04:23:55
Subject: DIMRC query
From: "Cohn, Grant" <Grant.Cohn AT SAPREF DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:23:55 +0200
Hello All

We have been using ADSM to back up about 15 NT (server) clients with very
few problems.

Now that we have upgraded our ADSM server to 3.1.2.20 and the clients to
3.1.0.7 I have started to use the ODBC facility and look at the database
tables with MS-Query.

I can now look at all details of backed up & archived objects. I have now
seen something that I don't 'think' I like.  The directories on all these
clients have not gone to the management classes that I have specified in the
dsm.opt files.

I have now read that directories automatically go to the Management Class
with the longest retention period. What I want to know is the thinking
behind this.

I have now been playing around with the DIRMC parameter and have found that
I can re-bind these directories to the Management classes I want - but
should I be doing this on all my clients ??? (DIRMC does not look like it
works when doing archives ??)

If I could get an understanding of why directories are treated differently
to files I may know what to do!

Many thanks

Grant Cohn
Shell & BP Petroleum Refinery