ADSM-L

Cache Hit Percent below 90%

1999-07-29 09:21:37
Subject: Cache Hit Percent below 90%
From: Marita Gonsalves <marita_gonsalves AT CARYACADEMY.PVT.K12.NC DOT US>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:21:37 -0400
Hello all,
I've run into a problem and I want to make sure that the cause is not ADSM
before I involve anyone else on this.  Background info:  NT 4.0 environment,
running ADSM server ver. 2 backing up  24 servers.  Running ADSM client ver.
3 on 4 servers.

I've noticed that the cahce hit pecrent keeps dropping gradually over a
period of time.  The only way I can fix this is stopping and starting the
ADSM server.  I have increased database buffer pool, per the ADSM manual
suggestion, from 512KB to 1014KB.  The cache hit percent is currently at 77%
(I stopped and started the service 2days ago).  The cache wait pct is 0.
The total buffer requests are very high considering I just reset the buffer
pool two days ago:114,983,514.

When inventory expiration runs, I've noticed that it takes anywhere from 5 -
8 hours to run.  In the past it never took more than 1.5 - 2 hours to run.

Another anomaly: scheduled backups start at 2 a.m. in the morning.  When I
come in at 8:30 a.m. one or two of the clients running ADSM ver. 3 client is
still in process.  In the past, the backups were done by 6 a.m.  No, data
has not increased.  In fact, the summer is our  slow time and backups should
be going a lot faster since the traffic on most of the servers is limited.
School starts in two weeks and I shudder to think what it will be like if I
don't find a fix for this problem.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?  I want to be able to pre-empt any
problem before it gets out of control.  I want to be sure that this is not
an ADSM problem before I start looking at the network.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Marita Gonsalves
IS Consultant
Cary Academy
919-677-1946 x4555