ADSM-L

Re: Backup drectly to tape

1999-07-28 10:58:46
Subject: Re: Backup drectly to tape
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:58:46 -0400
The place to change it is in the Management class backup copy group, not the
pool itself.
The backup copy group points to the pool you want to use.
Once you change all your backup copy groups to point to  TAPEPOOL instead of
the backuppool disk pool, you can delete your backuppool, you don't have to
take ADSM down at all!

However, before you do this - remember that if you are going direct to tape,
you must have a tape drive available for EACH client that you want to be
backing up at the same time! Plus another if you want people to be able to
do restores at the same time.

So if you have a lot of clients, it's usually a good idea to keep most
clients backing up to the diskpool, and backup direct to tape only for
specific clients that really need it.  That way your disk pool acts as a
buffer, because many clients can back up to the disk pool concurrently; then
you can do migration from the disk pool to the tape pool using only 1 or 2
tape drives.
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert