ADSM-L

Re: ORACLE CONNECT AGENT - CATALOG REstore

1999-06-27 21:07:41
Subject: Re: ORACLE CONNECT AGENT - CATALOG REstore
From: steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:07:41 +1000
I don't quite understand what it is that you are trying to do, but basically
there is a problem where the EBU catalog is used on multiple machines with ADSM.

The problem is that each ADSM server normally has its own node ID and password
combination.  To illustrate suppose we have
two machines A and B and the ebu catalog is on a third machine C

A runs a backup of a target database, which is automatically followed by an EBU
catalog backup.  This data is stored under A's node name by ADSM.
B now runs a backup of a different target database, which is automatically
followed by an EBU catalog backup.  This data is stored under B's node name
by ADSM.

Now if A tries to restore the catalog database, the latest copy is B's and ADSM
won't let A see B's copy.

There may be a way to tell ADSM security to let B see A's data and vice-versa.
Alternatively, you could run both A and B with the same node name by copying the
encrypted password file.  There might be complications with this approach but
superficially it appears to work.
Another possiblilty might be to not automatically backup the EBU catalog after
each target database backup, but schedule this separately and always from the
same machine.

The solution that I use is that there is one EBU catalog per target machine.
This also fits in nicely with HACMP. This is because the ebu connect string is
kept in the oracle home, so I have one oracle home, one Oracle Connect agent ,
Target instances, and a dedicated oracle listener and those  things switch
together between machines at an HACMP takeover (or will when we install HACMP!)

I hope this isn't too confusing and assists with your problem.

Steve Harris
AIX/Oracle and ADSM Guy
The Wesley Hospital
Brisbane Australia

Happiness is singing in a Barbershop Quartet.