ADSM-L

Re: Large number of objects

1999-06-09 10:40:20
Subject: Re: Large number of objects
From: Chris De Bondt <Chris.De.Bondt AT DVVLAP DOT BE>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:40:20 +0200
Hi,

This may not be the ultimate solution for your problem, but it may be
the start: we back-up an NT server with approx. 3 million files and a
very complex directory structure. We used to be running an incremental
backup against it, and it took us ages (12 hours). Now we're running an
incremental backup with the option 'INCRBYDATE' (this is documented, it
saves a lot of time and processing in the ADSM server data base), and it
takes about 4 hours, 1/3 of what it used to be.
But: there's is a risk that some files may not get backed up (whether or
not it is a theoretical or practical problem in your case: read the
documentation and think hard), so it makes sense to periodically make a
'full incremental' backup.

Whether or not ADSM can handle 25000*200k in an acceptable time frame
will depend on a lot of elements: server & client processing power &
memory,  network bandwith, ... I guess your right: better do some
testing rather sooner than later.

Chris