ADSM-L

Re: DRM Losing Tapes

1999-05-28 10:42:45
Subject: Re: DRM Losing Tapes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:42:45 -0400
Yes I can confirm -

If you are using DRM, you don't need to do the DELETE VOLHIST TYPE=DBB for
DB backups, DRM does it for you.

I verified it last month by turning off the DELETE VOLHIST, and monitoring
the status of my DB backup tapes.  I have DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS set to 15,
and DRM is very tidily keeping my DB backups at 15, even with no DELETE
VOLHIST running.

(You may still want to run your DELETE VOLHIST at some high number for the
STGNEW and STGDELETE entries, just to keep the VOLHIST from growing
forever.)

Thanks to Sheelagh Treweek of Oxford U for teaching me this!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert