ADSM-L

Re: Silo 9310 shared between ADSM AIX and MVS

1999-03-11 11:48:43
Subject: Re: Silo 9310 shared between ADSM AIX and MVS
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:48:43 -0500
Unfortunately I can't really answer your question, but I am familiar with
STK silos and with ADSM V2 Enhanced Server for AIX.

Since you haven't gotten any answers to your question, I will hazard a
guess:

I am sure the problem is NOT the STK robot microcode.  The robot microcode
would affect only the movement and mounting of tapes with the robot arm, not
the reading of tapes.  Once a tape is mounted, ADSM reads tapes directly
using the operating system device drivers, and the robot is no longer
involved.

On your AIX system, if you enter the command lsdev -Cctape, you will
probably see the device drivers for your Timberline drives listed as
something like "OMI Advantape Twin Peaks Tape Drives".  These AIX device
drivers are used to write tapes on your AIX system.  These drivers do not
come from IBM; they came from a company called OMI and were installed as
part of ADSM ENhanced Server.

Once your tape is mounted on your OS/390 system, ADSM on MVS will try to
read the tape using MVS device drivers (or what corresponds to a device
driver on MVS).  If the OMI driver on AIX and the MVS device driver are not
compatible, you could get an "invalid block header" message.

I know that for DLT drives, there was an incompatibility between the OMI
device drivers for DLT on AIX, and the ADSM V3 for AIX device drivers from
IBM, and it caused an "invalid block header" error.  A fix to the ADSM V3
server was required to correct it.

Anyway, I really think you should report this error to ADSM defect support.
I think only the ADSM support group is going to be able to tell you whether
this is a bug, or an unsupported configuration.

Anybody else out there find a flaw in my logic?

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert