ADSM-L

Re: SQL Agent Questions

1999-03-02 08:37:39
Subject: Re: SQL Agent Questions
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:37:39 -0500
Sharon,

>Does the SQL agent use the total size of the transaction log as >its
indicator of where to send the data (i.e. if the disk pool >isn't as large
as the transaction log, will it try to go directly >to the next pool in the
hierarchy?)

No, we calculate the current "in use" size of the transaction log to
provide the object size estimate to ADSM.

>2.   When we do a scheduled backup of the transaction log, (I >think the
command is sqldsmc /backincr .....), does this >automatically truncate the
transaction log?  And just so I >understand, the truncation only gets rid
of what's considered the >'inactive' part of the log, is that correct?

Yes, unless you use the /NOTRUNCATE option, a /BACKUPINCR command will
automatically truncate the inactive part of the transaction log after it
has been backed up.

>3.   Is the SQL not designed to restore individual tables, etc?  >or do
you have to completely restore an entire database or >individual
transaction logs?  I'm not sure what the best way is to >implement the
agent.

No, individual table restore is not currently supported by the agent

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com