ADSM-L

Re: MVS ADSM Server

1999-03-02 08:46:33
Subject: Re: MVS ADSM Server
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 07:46:33 -0600
We're also in this scenario. ADSM MVS (Open Edition) with ATM backbone and
again rarely see over 1.5 - 2Gb/hr on backups, the only exception is in the
case of large flat files such as database dumps where we have seen it go as
high as 4Gb an hour! wow! We have a very small Risc/6000 server
(Uniprocessor w/512Mbyte Ram) on the same ATM backbone which peforms about 6
times better!!!

We know that there are defnitely a lot of issues with TCP/IP performance on
MVS. We backup over 1,000 clients each night to 5 ADSM Servers spread
throughout the sysplex and frequently get lost client tcp/ip sessions during
the course of the night and generally poor performance. TCP/IP on MVS just
plain stinks. I've lost count of the fixtests, ptfs and hipers that have
been applied to both TCP/IP and ADSM in an attempt to get around these
problems. IBM really seem to be chasing their own tail on this one and I
don't expect TCP/IP on MVS to improve for some time.

One thing we did do which helped a lot was reserving the appropriate tcp/ip
sockets on MVS for use exclusively by ADSM. This did provide a lot more
stability. Perhaps you've been smart enough to do this already. The even
smarter thing to do would be to migrate off MVS to AIX / NT.

Regards,

Nathan