ADSM-L

Re: query occupancy for clients?

1998-12-02 17:08:01
Subject: Re: query occupancy for clients?
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:08:01 -0500
At 03:56 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Paul is correct in that you would have to Q FILESPACE and look
>>at % utilize to get compression stats.
>
>That's not what those numbers are about.  The Capacity and %Util out of Query
>Filespace are nothing more than what ADSM saw that client filespace's size
and
>current utilization to be when it last looked.  This is what a Unix 'df'
>command shows.  None of this has anything to do with compression numbers.
>Sorry, no urban legends allowed on this list.   :-)
>     Richard Sims, BU

Now wait a minute ;-(

I think I listed sufficient caveats about these numbers.  Capacity x %Util
roughly equals amount of uncompressed data, modulo the caveats I listed
previously.  Q OCC shows the compressed amount of data, again modulo the
caveats I listed earler.  Comparing the two numbers can give a very rough
idea of overall compression ratio for that node, again, modulo all the
caveats.

In any case, I was only trying to guess what Ben might have been thinking
about when he mentioned Q AUDITOCC.
..Paul