ADSM-L

Re: Roll forward recovery

1998-11-30 18:13:24
Subject: Re: Roll forward recovery
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:13:24 -0500
My experience is with ADSM V2 on AIX, but it may be helpful.

I strongly recommend the use of ROLLFORWARD mode because it helps you so
much if you need to do a data base recovery.

However, we also had a few problems when we first turned on ROLLFORWARD,
until we got things sized right.

The first thing I would do is check is to see what was happening on the ADSM
server over the weekend when you got the extra DB backups triggered.

When there are very long running operations in progress, such as a MOVE DATA
or a tape RECLAIM, it appears that transactions associated with those long
running operations do NOT all get cleared from the log when a data base
backup is done.

We found that a data base backup done while a tape reclaim was in progress
did not free up all log space; the result was that the DB backup trigger
caused a second and then third DB backup to be taken one right after the
other.

All that is necessary to correct this is to make the log big enough that you
don't have the problem anymore.

In your case, it certainly appears your log is big enough at 3.5 GB.  But
with your DB BACKUP trigger set to only 20%, you can only use 700 MB of that
space before a DB backup is triggered.

In your case I would suggest RAISING your DB backup trigger, to maybe 40%.
Then you would have 1.4 GB of log space to fill before triggering a DB
backup.

If that doesn't change things, or if the problem recurs when there appear to
be NO long-running processes on the server, I would report it to IBM as a
bug.

Hope this helps, maybe someone else will have some other suggestions...

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert