ADSM-L

Re: (DRM) Managing offsite tapes

1998-11-26 05:33:35
Subject: Re: (DRM) Managing offsite tapes
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:33:35 +0100
Hi Wanda!
I guess Guy has the same problem as I have with DRMedia.
ADSM offers you two ways to checkin your DRM tapes back from the vault:
CHECKIN LIBV libname SEARCH=BULK STATUS=SCRATCH CHECKLABEL=BARCODE
This just checks the barcode on the tapes. It does NOT check whether this
tape should be inserted in the library or not.
Better is to use the following command:
MOVE DRMEDIA * WHERESTATE=VAULTRETRIEVE    TOSTATE=ONSITERETRIEVE
CMD="CHECKIN LIBVOLUME 3575LIB &VOL STATUS=SCRATCH"
CMDFILENAME="/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/checkin.mac"
and then do a MACRO /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/checkin.mac.
This way you know for sure that the right tapes are inserted by the
operator, because ADSM issues a mount request for each tape. The downside is
that one has to reply after inserting each tape in the I/O slot one at the
time. For whatever reason ADSM development has decided not to allow you to
use the SEARCH=BULK along with VOLNAME, nor is one allowed to use
CHECKLABEL=BARCODE along with VOLNAME.
This makes checking in your DRM tapes VERY difficult to automate.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon