ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's

1998-11-02 13:08:15
Subject: Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:08:15 -0500
>So multiple CPUS would be better than a faster one?

Our experience with RS/6000 R3U systems is that the concurrency you get
with multiple processors is much better than having a single processor,
even if in our case the individual PPC 604 processors are individually
somewhat slower than a single Power2 system would be.  Stuff an MP with
memory to correlate with the number of processors, and caching will do
nicely.  The limiting factor will be I/O speed: MP systems tend to have
multiple I/O planar boards to help out in that respect such that the
system bus is not tied up by one processor at a time.
    Richard Sims, BU