ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's

1998-11-02 13:16:48
Subject: Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's
From: Brad Wallace <BradleyWallace AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:16:48 -0500
We migrated a single thread, batch application from an RS6000 R21
(Uniprocessor) to an RS6000 R50 (4-way processor).  The uni-processor R21
had more power than the sum of the R50 multi-processors.  But we found that
the R50 ran the same batch application in 53% of the time.  We assumed that
the increase in performance, even with a single thread application, was due
to the operating system overhead being spread out over the R50's smaller
processors.  Whatever the reason, the performance gain was real.

In light of this, I would assume that ADSM would have at least the same
performance gain, assuming that an I/O bottle neck does not exist.