ADSM-L

Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames

1998-10-31 10:59:03
Subject: Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:59:03 -0700
Bob Brazner wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  The problem appears to be in the registry.  It
> looks like some 16-bit apps register their critical files under their
> 8.3 name, not their long name.  So, after you do a restore, the restored
> registry will most likely not have the correct tilde numbers since I
> agree with your assessment that Win 95 will reassign tilde numbers for
> the restored files on a first come first serve basis.  How does ADSM
> expect me to get the registry back in sync?  Am I missing something
> here?  Are we the only shop running 16-bit apps?  What about REGREST...
> does it have provisions for dealing with this problem?
>
> Bob Brazner

I think the question should be, how does your 16-bit app expect to get
back in sync?  If you were to use Win95 to move a two files:
'File with a long name A' (maps to 'FILEWI~1', say) and
'File with a long name B' (maps to 'FILEWI~2') to
a different directory then copied them back to their original location
but copied B first then A, then Win95 would switch the short file names
so that A had ~2 and B had ~1;  I just tried this and it happens.  This
is without ADSM involved at all.

Given that there is no absolute mapping between long and 8.3 names, I
don't think you can expect ADSM to preserve them.  What if ADSM
dutifully recorded the 8.3 name as well and purposefully restored them
in an order that would preserve the mapping?  What if you then created a
third file 'File with a long name C' before using ADSM to restore the
other two?  ADSM would not be able to preserve the short names without
renaming the third, and then, of course, ith would we ruining the name
of that file.  You can't win, it is a piece of handbag that belongs
squarely to Microsoft and the backwards compatibility of Win95 to DOS.
Not that they could have done much differently...

How does a 16-bit app get installed using long file names?  Presumably a
16 bit app would install itself with its own unique 8.3 names, not long
names that get mapped to 6~N.3 names.  And what is being put in the
registry that would use 8.3 names?  I would have thought (I don't know)
that anything that knows about the registry would use long names, and
surely a 16-bit app should not know about the registry?  (Color me naive
here...)

Sorry...
Bruce