ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Restore of NetWare data from end-user workstation

1998-10-21 12:02:31
Subject: Re: ADSM Restore of NetWare data from end-user workstation
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:02:31 -0400
Andy,

Thank you for the response.  Here is some feedback for your product planners.

We view the NetWare client as a week point in our overall ADSM strategy.
The lack of a native GUI and the inability for desktop users to restore
their own files are both glaring omissions (IMHO) in the ADSM NetWare
client.  Other backup solutions provide these capabilities.  The problem
which we have is that some of our departments which have NetWare servers
are looking at these other solutions not only to back up their NetWare
servers, but to back up their other workstations with these same solutions.
 They figure if they already have to run their own backup service to back
up their NetWare server, they may as well back up their workstations at the
same time.  So, while the overall percentage of NetWare systems we are
backing up is small, they are strategic.  We feel that it is important that
ADSM have a better NetWare client than is now available.

While I do understand that the webshell client for NetWare will provide
some sort of GUI interface for NetWare administrators, this does not
address the issue of allowing NetWare desktop users to restore their own
files.  Also, because I have not yet seen the webshell interface, I do not
know how full-featured it may or may not be.  I reserve judgement on
whether it will provide a suitable GUI interface for our NetWare users.

Thanks for listening.
..Paul