ADSM-L

0% Reclaimable

1998-07-23 14:24:02
Subject: 0% Reclaimable
From: Ken Rackow <Ken_Rackow AT EM.FCNBD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:24:02 -0500
     Recently, we discovered that, due to some mistakes in our storage pool
     Max Capacity/Estimated Capacity, we had created a HUGE number of
     volumes in our backup pool.  We corrected the parameters that were
     wrong, and now, little by little, we have begun to reclaim our wasted
     tape space.

     We've temporarily set the reclaim threshold very low to force ADSM to
     stay busy reclaiming the space on our tapes, and we're prepared to
     wait for a while to hopefully shrink the size of our storage pool.
     Unfortunately, you can't set the reclaim threshold below 1%, and a
     very large percentage of the tapes in our pool show a 0% reclaimable
     status.  This number is wrong, because of the earlier setup, and these
     tapes actually have a large amount of wasted space on them.

     How can we force ADSM to perform reclaims on the tapes in our pool
     that show 0% reclaimable?  I know that we could use MOVEDATA to
     accomplish this, but since MOVEDATA would require a separate command
     for each volume, this would be a very difficult process to complete
     against the several thousand volumes that are suspected of being
     wrong.