ADSM-L

Will V2 HSM Client (AIX) work with V3 Server (also AIX)???

1998-04-27 14:12:57
Subject: Will V2 HSM Client (AIX) work with V3 Server (also AIX)???
From: "Rushton, John D" <john.d.rushton AT LMCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:12:57 -0400
We have a group of 3 ADSM servers (RS/6000) currently at ADSM V2 supporting
a total of about 40 V2 backup/archive clients - all of which are RS/6000
boxes.   14 of these servers are running the HSM client as well (at the
2.1.0.7 level - this is "transitional functional code" provided to us by IBM
because these boxes went to AIX 4.2 last year and the current ADSM HSM
client (at the time) 2.1.0.6 did not support AIX 4.2 and the V3 HSM client
wasn't available yet).

For reasons that I can't really go into here, we are working to stop HSM
management of the 14 file systems - replacing it with an ADSM archive
w/deletefile setup.   Converting to ADSM V3 HSM client is not an option.
The conversion effort from HSM to ADSM archive is not yet complete, but we
would like to convert the ADSM servers to ADSM V3.   My question is (as
stated in the subject line) - Can I upgrade my ADSM servers to ADSM V3
without upgrading the ADSM HSM clients to V3 as well???

John Rushton
Lockheed Martin M&DS