ADSM-L

estimated/max capacity

1998-04-24 12:04:27
Subject: estimated/max capacity
From: Jim Healy <Jhealy AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:04:27 -0400
Fellow Adsmers,
        I'm confused reading the version 3 guide for MVS.
I'm actually running version 2 on mvs with version 2 and 3 clients. I
have STK 3490 36 track timberline drives, I compress all my data at the
client. I have defined the device class as cartridege and set the
estimated capacity at 400m. It now appears that I'm not really filling
my tapes when i look at them in TLMS my tape management system. The
Guide is very confusing on the Maxcapacity and Estcapacity. Am I
limiting the amount of data that gets written to the tape by specifing
400mb as the estimated capacity for this  device? What should I have
coded for 3490 36 track timberline drives?
Thanks