ADSM-L

FW: Extended VSAM size & 59 ?!

1998-04-03 12:50:40
Subject: FW: Extended VSAM size & 59 ?!
From: "Nichols, Linnea" <lnichols AT FFXEX01.CO.FAIRFAX.VA DOT US>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:50:40 -0500
We changed our largest VSAM files to EF and compressed them and
are very happy with the results. Make sure that your 3rd party software
supports EF -- we had to have maintenance on VSAMASSIST (Softworks).
A product I was trialing (VSAM MANAGER from Mainstar) does not
support EF. Those were the only ones we found, but I'm sure there are
others.

We were careful to only compress files that have a high read to write
ratio -- from what I've read, you can run into troubles if you have a
high number of writes and a low number of reads. So we decided to
be conservative and not press our luck!