ADSM-L

Maximum simultaneous client issue..again!

1998-03-18 12:46:35
Subject: Maximum simultaneous client issue..again!
From: "Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:46:35 -0500
Ok, not that I don't believe IBM but I DON"T BELIEVE IBM! There is a
HUGE design flaw if the following is true
about how ADSM (NT) server handles backups...

Lets say that 2500 clients are associated with a schedule.
We have maximum simultaneous clients is set to 25,
maximum sessions allowed for scheduled operations is set to 90%,  which
really means 22 out of 25 will be serviced.

Now...
ADSM support says that ADSM will contact the first node of the 22 and
wait for a response before
contacting node #2 of 22 with up to a minute between them.

If this is true then the  worst case scenario is that 2500 clients could
potentially require as much as 2500 minutes in additional backup
window time. Now I doubt that we will have that issue and is probably
way out of line but hey, I've seen crazier things.

Why wouldn't ADSM server send a call to the 22 nodes at once, well not
really at once but you know what I mean,  and then process them
as they come in. I have heard that ADSM does do it this way. I hope so
anyway.

Who is right?

Thanks-
CR