ADSM-L

NetWare: long filenames

1998-03-18 12:44:00
Subject: NetWare: long filenames
From: Matthias Brasch <M.Brasch AT HEW DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:44:00 +0100
Hi ADSM'ers,

I know the question was in this list before but I'm not aware of
an solution for my problem.
We are using Netware4.11-fileservers in our company and
are on the way to change our client-os from Win3.11 to WinNT4.0.
Surely our users more and more use longer filenames then 8.3.
And now comes my problem in restore situations.
Everybody who has ever worked with ADSM in NetWare environments
knows how 'nice' the rconsole-dsmc-interface is...
When a user has a file with a name longer than 8 chars I can't
indentify it, a name 'my_nice_datafile' is found as 'my_nice0'.
That would be no problem, but what if the user has another
file 'my_nice_blabala'.This file is shown as 'my_nice1'.
How do I know which is which ?
ADSM is able to restore complete dir-trees with the complete ( long ! )
filenames but I can't see individual files in 'q backup' , thats what
I can't understand.

So my questions are :

What are you other Netware-guys doing in those cases ?
Does anyone know if a change is planned by IBM, and when ?
( german IBM-support tells me that this is an NetWare-problem ...)

best regards,

Matthias Brasch, HEW, Hamburg-Germany