ADSM-L

Re: Restore file from old backup to new client

1998-03-13 12:02:39
Subject: Re: Restore file from old backup to new client
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:02:39 -0500
In <852565C6.004EB04A.00 AT csc DOT com>, on 03/13/98
   at 10:02 AM, Nancy Stevens <Nancy_C_Stevens AT CSC DOT COM> said:

>Hi, all.  We need some help restoring a file from an old Netware client
>backup (let's call it NWOLD) to a different Netware client (let's call it
>NWNEW).  Here's the scenario.  We took the old Netware client off-line
>about a year ago, but backed it up with ADSM before we took it away.  Now,
>they have discovered that they need a particular directory from the old one
>restored.  I can do a "query filespace" on the old client and it appears
>that the data is still there.  The question is how to get it back.  From
>what I've read it appears that NWNEW needs to be given access to the NWOLD
>backups in order for NWNEW  to be able to restore from the backups, but
>that can only be done by issuing the "set access" command from the NWOLD
>id.  Since the NWOLD machine no longer exists, how do we logon to the NWOLD
>id in order to give the NWNEW id access?

>I'm getting the digest, so if you could mail your response directly to me
>at "nsteven5 AT csc DOT com"  then I will get it quicker.

>Thanks,
>Nancy

You could do node renames on the adsm server.  I will assume that you have a
NW test machine, so on the server do

rename node nwtest real_nwtest
rename node nwold nwtest

Now restore the files to the nwtest machine and transfer them
somehow to whereever you really want them.  Then do the
reverse renames on the adsm server.
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab