ADSM-L

Re: Charge Back

1998-03-10 11:26:40
Subject: Re: Charge Back
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:26:40 -0600
Rick:

ADSM for MVS has an option for accounting that, by "flipping the switch",
writes account info out in an SMF record format (MVS/OS390 mainframe). This
record includes info about each client session, however, items that ARE not
included are CPU and many of the migration processes and the like for each
file space. I, personally, find this a limitation because often clients use
little in the way of data transfer on any given day, but are absolute hogs
with tapes and other server resources --- and this is where overhead
charges don't truly account for client (read: business unit) usage. I would
rather see something a little more inclusive of network and CPU resource
use, as well as tape, and migration and reclamation usage for each file
space --- it would make capacity planning and budgeting a little less
cumbersome.

You can gather and interpret your SMF data through SAS or MXG, or any other
popular mechanism that can interpret SMF records.

Have fun!

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management
GENAM/St. Louis, MO/USA
ccannam AT genam DOT com

"Smith, Richard" <smithrr AT MARITZ DOT COM> on 03/09/98 04:06:28 PM