ADSM-L

DDS2/DDS3 Capacity questions

1998-03-06 12:40:56
Subject: DDS2/DDS3 Capacity questions
From: Stephan Rittmann <rittmann1 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 16:40:56 -0100
Hi all,

Im confused about the capacity handling for DAT DDS2 and DDS3 cartridges.
I defined the following deviceclasses:
DDS2  - for DDS2 format without compression
DDS2C - for DDS2 with hardwarecompression
DDS2  - for DDS3 format without compression
DDS3C - for DDS3 format with hardwarecompression

I filled a tape (devclas DDS3C) with uncompressed data. The data i used
was really uncompressed. For a test i zipped that data and reached a very
good compression rate. The END-OF-Volume was at aprox. 12GB. I reached
the same value when I used the DDS3 devclas.
The same happend when I use the DDS2C class. Only 3.6 GB on different
volumes.

Thanks for any ideas,
Stephan