ADSM-L

Problem with filenames with national characters (WinNT)

1998-03-06 08:23:36
Subject: Problem with filenames with national characters (WinNT)
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 13:23:36 GMT
Hi.

I've just noticed that V3 NT client doesn't handle national characters
properly. I've checked the client configuration and everyting seems to be
right, but dsm doesn't report the corect filename for files.

For example, the file "C:\Apresentação\Cão.txt" is handled by the adsm
client as "C:\Apresentação\Cão.txt". Doing a "q cont" on the server, this
is also the name stored in the database. When restoring the file it is
restores with the correct (original) name.

This situation is occuring on an NT Server 4.0, with local language set to
Portuguese. I've test it on 2 NT servers, and on one the ADSM client crashes
with a Dr. Watson message whenever it reaches a file or directory containing
a non-ASCII character.

I'v also tested with AIX and Win95, but these clients do not show this
behavior. It seems to be specific to WinNT.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,