ADSM-L

Re: Newbie question

1998-02-19 18:42:05
Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:42:05 -0500
As an ADSM client, you need to be connected as nodeB in order to change nodeB's
password. Your ADSM administrator might consider making you a restricted policy
administrator, which would give you *some* level of administrative authority
over users in your policy domain, including the right to change the node's
password.

I am curious, though, why one person has to reset other users passwords 10 days
before they expire. Why can't the users do this themselves? Also, I don't
recommend repeating passwords. But... for now I'll assume that this is your
requirement.

Probably the best solution would be to use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE. Have you
tried this? You add PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE to the dsm.opt file (dsm.sys on
UNIX machines). The first time you subsequently connect to ADSM, it will prompt
you for your password. Once you enter it, ADSM will encrypt it and store it in
a file. Thereafter, ADSM will obtain the password from the encrypted file
rather than prompting you for it. In addition, if the password expires, ADSM
will automatically obtain a new password from the server, encrypt and store it
(as before), and use the new password. This should make everyone's lives a lot
easier!

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support