ADSM-L

Re: Newbie question

1998-02-20 09:17:43
Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:17:43 +0100
>As an ADSM client, you need to be connected as nodeB in order to change
>nodeB's
>password. Your ADSM administrator might consider making you a restricted
>policy
>administrator, which would give you *some* level of administrative authority
>over users in your policy domain, including the right to change the node's
>password.
>
>I am curious, though, why one person has to reset other users passwords 10
>days
>before they expire. Why can't the users do this themselves? Also, I don't
>recommend repeating passwords. But... for now I'll assume that this is your
>requirement.
>
>Probably the best solution would be to use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE. Have you
>tried this? You add PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE to the dsm.opt file (dsm.sys on
>UNIX machines). The first time you subsequently connect to ADSM, it will
>prompt
>you for your password. Once you enter it, ADSM will encrypt it and store it in
>a file. Thereafter, ADSM will obtain the password from the encrypted file
>rather than prompting you for it. In addition, if the password expires, ADSM
>will automatically obtain a new password from the server, encrypt and store it
>(as before), and use the new password. This should make everyone's lives a lot
>easier!
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Andy Raibeck
>ADSM Level 2 Support
>
> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> 02-19-98 11:22 PM
>Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet
>
>To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ internet
>cc:
>Subject: Newbie question
>
>Hi.
>        Our server is running version 3.1 AIX and i'm currently using version
>3.1
>win32 intel of the client applications.  My question is ... is there a way
>to remotely change the password of a node that is different than the
>current node you are connecting to the server as?
>        for example... i'm connecting to the server as nodeA.  is there a way
>from
>either the GUI or the command line application to remotely change the
>password of nodeB?  This is assuming I know what the password to nodeB is
>originally, which I do.  I've tried using the "set password" command.  But
>it only seems to work with the node you're connected as.  I couldn't find
>any option to specify a different nodename.
>        My reason for asking is that I don't have any administrative access to
>the
>server.  That's being handled in a different department.  But I do have
>about 40 users that I "administer" that I would like to keep their
>passwords current.  Our ADSM administrator is expiring passwords after 90
> [...]

John,

If neither becoming a restricted policy administrator not PASSWORDACCESS
GENERATE (as Andy suggested) is an option to You, there is another way:
Temporarily change Your node name in Your DSM.OPT file.

But I agree with Andy that PASWORDACCESS GENERATE would probably be the
best solution, unless the option isn't supported by the client You are
using.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at