ADSM-L

Re: To Collocate or Not to Collocate?

1998-01-05 10:00:26
Subject: Re: To Collocate or Not to Collocate?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:00:26 -0500
My two cents:

You don't necessarily have to use a tape per client, even if you
collocate.
Collocation is done by storage pool.
You can set the max scratch limit for the storage pool to anything you
want.
I set the scratch limit to 1/5 the number of clients, since we are
backing up desktops and they are (relatively) tiny.

If there are more clients than the max scratch limit, ADSM does stack
more than one client on a tape.
That way it keeps the backups for a given client together on the same
tape, without eating a zillion tapes.
You do still have the potential of a tape mount for every client for
every migration cycle.

As others have said, in deciding whether you want to collocate or not,
consider
1) How many clients you have
2) How many tapes you have
3) Whether you have mechanical or two-legged tape mounters
4) How much free time you have in your backup window
5) How responsive you need to be if a client crashes and requires a full
restore

If you don't collocate, you could in theory have one client's data
scattered across every tape in the pool.
Can you tolerate mounting every tape to do a full restore of the client?

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert