ADSM-L

To Collocate or Not to Collocate?

1998-01-05 10:21:48
Subject: To Collocate or Not to Collocate?
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:21:48 +0100
Since the answers I have seen so far, tend to vote against collocation,
let me contribute my opinion. I recently enabled collocation in one of
our storage pools when I saw the increasing number of tapes in it. With
collocation turned off, many of these volumes have to be mounted when
restoring a disk. With collocation enabled (and after some time, since,
as stated by Francis Dequenne, the non-collocated data remains
non-collocated until it is moved somehow), only few tapes have to be
mounted. This makes a big difference, especially for a customer, who
in that situation probably already is highly stressed.

Of course, the price has to be paid during backup. Having a large disk
pool in front of the tape pool helps to keep it low.

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet