ADSM-L

Re: Excluding filesystems from incremental backup

1997-11-25 04:18:04
Subject: Re: Excluding filesystems from incremental backup
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:18:04 +0100
Ken Perdue writes:
 > Folks,
 > I'm using the AIX 2.1.0.6 client, and I have a filesystem that I want to
 > exclude
 > from incremental backup. The way I read the DOMAIN option, I can specify the
 > names of all filesystems that I want to INCLUDE in an incremental, but what I
 > really want to do is EXCLUDE a filesystem. It seems that using the DOMAIN
 > option, I'd have to update the list every time I add a filesystem.
 >
 > Is there a way to exclude a filesystem from backup without having ADSM scan
 > all
 > the files (tens of thousands of them)? My backups are timing out and I don't
 > really need to back up that filesystem anyway (which contains Usenet
 > newsgroups).

No, there is no solution with ADSM Vers. 2. (By the way, using the include-
exclude list, as suggested by others, is no solution, because ADSM still
scans the whole subdirectory tree, which is not what you want, when there
are lots of files in it.)

But, there will be a solution in ADSM vers. 3: the new EXCLUDE.DIR
statement. According to documentation (I have not tested it), it will
prevent the whole directory tree from beeing traversed. Yet another
reason to go to vers. 3. We will then use the default DOMAIN
statement (backup every local file system) and EXCLUDE.DIR those we do
not want to backup. This is much less dangerous than explicitely specifying
the file systems to be backed up. Probably many file systems are never
backed up simply because it is forgotten to put them into the DOMAIN
statement when they are created.

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet