ADSM-L

A rookie w/ AS400 tape setup problems

1997-11-21 13:57:54
Subject: A rookie w/ AS400 tape setup problems
From: Scott Knight <sknight AT COLUMBIA.K12.MO DOT US>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:57:54 -0600
I am having difficulty using tapes in a 9427 library w/ ADSM.  I am
not an AS400 admin by trade, I prefer the unix world but in this
scenario the 400 was the best choice for ADSM. I am familiar w/ adsm
and its concepts etc.  In fact the server is properly installed and I
have successfully backed up clients to disk.

There is even an example of adding a 9427 device to use with ADSM
in the admin guide but I cannot get through it.

I have a stgpool defined as "9427pool" (the 9427 and its tapes will
only be used for adsm). I have a library defined as "9427" All seems
to go well until I get to trying to checkin volumes. A command like:

checkin libvolume 9427 status=scratch search=yes category=insert

was ending with 0 volumes found, and I realized these tapes probably
needed to be init'd. I did the "addtapctg" to move volumes into the
"adsmcat" category but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to
initialize these tapes. The 9427 is fully populated with 21 tapes.
Here is the initial screen after a "wrktapctg dev(tapmlb01)"
 Cartridge   Volume
 ID                ID                       Status
 CLN001     *UNKNOWN    Inserted
 VOL001      *UNKNOWN    Available
 VOL002      *UNKNOWN    Available
 VOL003      *UNKNOWN    Available
 VOL004      *UNKNOWN    Available
 VOL005      *UNKNOWN    Available
 VOL006      *UNKNOWN    Available
etc...

All my attempts to initialize tapes are failing for various reasons. I
get to the INZTAP screen and try to fill in what I think are correct
values but the command fails.

Anything would be helpful.
Thanks...
--
Scott Knight                    + District Technology Engineer
Scott Knight                    + District Technology Engineer