ADSM-L

Son of "First Impressions"

1997-11-06 11:18:12
Subject: Son of "First Impressions"
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:18:12 -0500
Date:     November 6, 1997              Time: 8:25 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Maybe I'm getting old and senile, but I'd like to think not... :-)>
Maybe I'm getting old and senile, but I'd like to think not... :-)>

As I go back over my original issues with the new client and directory
structure, the question I keep coming back to, is "Why am I having so much
trouble with this, when I have a developer telling me it's so easy.  So what
am I missing?

Let me use a sample scenario of a simple backup to illustrate why I think the
new method is confusing me.

ASSUMPTION:  I have a directory structure as follows:

       c:\Jerrys\old\junk

Under each level, I have 25 files.

If I want to back up all of them, I can  click on the gray box next to the
directory entry for "Jerrys", and all directory entries below it, and all
files in all three directories will be selected.  And if I click on backup,
all will be backed up.  (Subject to the "type" of backup - but let's not go
there now).

This is according to the new design, and it seems to work fine.

But, let's suppose that I only want to backup the files in the directory \OLD
under Jerrys.  If I click on the gray box next to "old", I get that, but I
also get the files in the directory "junk" underneath it.  I don't want these
files.

What I used to do was click the left mouse button while holding the CNTL key
down.  This selected (or deselected) the whole directory.

Now, to back up Just the directory old, I can do one of two things.....

1.  go to the directory "OLD", and highlight all of the files in the
directory,  and then click on the yellow "check" button in the tool bar.  Or
2.  click on the box next to "OLD" - I get both "OLD" and "JUNK".  The I can
go to "JUNK", highlight all of the files, then click the gray box in the tool
bar to deselect these files.

I submit that this is more work than the old method.  (witty/biting/sarcastic
comment omitted)

What doesn't work, but appears like it should.....  "If I highlight the
directory "OLD" and click on the yellow check box on the tool bar, one would
think I would select only what was highlighted - this is not the case - both
"OLD" and "JUNK" are selected.

Also what doesn't work - If I follow either of the two scenarios above to get
only the files in the "OLD" directory that I desire, the gray box next to the
"OLD" directory does not stay completely yellow, with a check in it.
Instead, it is half yellow, half gray, with no check.  But ALL of the files
in the directory are selected.  This graphic would seem to indicate a partial
selection when in fact this is not the case.  I am now reduced to having to
go through the directory display again and determine  which files were not
selected.  Not terribly challenging for my 25 directory examples, but
remember the discussions we have had on the list about people with HUGE
directories (many, many thousands of entries) - not a pleasant thought.

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.