ADSM-L

Re: Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Historical Backups

1997-10-26 11:15:55
Subject: Re: Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Historical Backups
From: Ong How Cheong <onghc AT SINGNET.COM DOT SG>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 08:15:55 -0800
    We are facing the same problem.    What we though of doing is using
a seperate pool for snapshot backup using archive command and using copy
storage to move the data in the pool to a DR pool and move all the tape
in the DR pool to offsite.
    However, before we implemented, there are two major concerns i.e.
the ADSM's database will increased significantly as ADSM is doing file
level archive and not copy volume or disk image.  The second concern is
the archive command does't support exclude para, but not all files can
be backup online especially those system files, this causes lot of
errors in the log file and almost all the job status reflected as failed
and it is very difficult for us to check every error messages in the log
file to determine whether the backup set is a good copy.