ADSM-L

Re: Transfer rate over Token-ring network

1997-09-26 15:33:27
Subject: Re: Transfer rate over Token-ring network
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:33:27 -0400
Similar results here.
Using TCP/IP, a Compaq WInNT client, to an RS/6000 J30 ADSM server, I
have gotten over 1 MB per second on 16 MB token ring.  That is without
any effort at tuning, and I am sure that the limiting factor was the
Compaq.

When looking at your numbers be sure to measure what you know REALLY got
transferred; don't trust the stats printed in dsmsched.log.

And usually the client is the limiting factor - the client can spend a
LONG time noodling around its own directory structure trying to figure
out what to back up.

I only trust numbers I can get from transferring a large file of a known
size, so that directory processing is not part of the picture.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert