ADSM-L

Shortening a long backup

1997-09-16 13:13:46
Subject: Shortening a long backup
From: Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:13:46 -0400
Hi all,
One of our Lotus Notes servers has begun to take unacceptably long to
backup.  (It's 7 hours, and the window is 5 hours.)  It's a Win NT
server, and around 54 GB of storage.  We back it up direct to tape, and
noticed that that helped somewhat. (Our server is MVS.)  I was wondering
about trying to backup the 2 largest subdirectories simultaneously, they
are E:\MAIL and E:\MAIL2.  From what I've seen on this list before, I
need to run 2 separate clients, pointing to 2 different DSM.OPT files,
where in one I exclude the MAIL2 subdirectory, and in the other, in
exclude everything but the MAIL2 subdirectory.  Is that the only way to
back those two subdirs up simultaneously?
If I do it that way, how do I tell the DSMC SCHED command which
DSM.OPT?  Would I have 2 subdirectories, for instance BACLIENT and
BACLIENT2, where the only thing in BACLIENT2 is the DSMC and DSM.OPT
files?
Since it's Lotus Notes, and we don't have the Notes agent installed, it
pretty much does a full backup every night.  (Has anyone noticed a
significant time savings with the Notes agent?)  But since it does
almost a full backup every night, would I be better of to kick off a
selective backup of MAIL2 at the same time the normal incremental kicks
off?  This way, they'd be backed up under the same client name, and
hopefully alot of MAIL2 would be backed up already by the time the
incremental hit it.   This seems to be to be the easiest and most
transparent to our overworked Notes administrators.  What do you all
think?
Thanks!!
Julie Phinney
JPHINNEY AT HUMANA DOT COM