ADSM-L

Re: DLT7000 drives with ADSM

1997-07-29 11:37:29
Subject: Re: DLT7000 drives with ADSM
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:37:29 -0500
> Makes me wonder if it is the DLT drives themselves, or the modifications
> made to them to put them in Libraries....
>
> BTW, I had another calibration error on one of my DLT7000's last night...

I need to reiterate here that our Q47 has NO problems at all.  The 4000 drives
seem to be holding up nicely, and the robot is very resilient.  (we JUST
LAST MONTH got a UPS for the faciility, so the Q47 has gotten 1 year's worth
of unplanned power problems, which are VERY REGULAR in New Orleans)

I think Breece Hill just doesn't do any mods to the drives to get them to work
in the library (from a guts standpoint), although I do know that the doors
are different, with an actuator for the library.  But other than that, I think
they are stock DLT's without skins.

The real problem here is Quantum's inability to admit that their product is
not as far along the development curve as it would have hoped.  Intead of
leaving the drive in the labs for a couple more months, they now have an in-
stall base of dissatisfied 7000 customers...

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================