ADSM-L

Re: Win NT Registry Restore from Inactive Version

1997-06-16 16:07:50
Subject: Re: Win NT Registry Restore from Inactive Version
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:07:50 -0400
Andy, you are right that the regrest command does not have the option to
restore an inactive version.
However you can fool it into doing what you want, although it's a weird
process.

When you run a registry backup from the GUI, or an incremental backup,
ADSM copies the registry data to the /adsm.sys directory, then backs up
the files in /adsm.sys to the ADSM server.

If you do a registry restore, ADSM brings the active copy of the
/adsm.sys files back down from the ADSM server to the /adsm.sys
directory, then uses REGREST to do whatever it does to restore the NT
registry.

So, first take a look at your /adsm.sys directory.   The files in there
are backed up to the server just like any other incremental backup.
Check the time stamps on those files.

If you want to restore your registry from 2 days ago, what you do is
this:

*               Use the ADSM backup GUI to restore the files in
/adsm.sys to their status 2 days ago
        (using file restore, not registry restore).
*               Now use the backup GUI to do a selective backup of those
files in /adsm.sys.
        The 2-day old files are now the active backup of /adsm.sys.
*               Now use the GUI to do your registry restore; ADSM will
use the active version of the files.
*               Reboot immediately.

I got this suggestion from IBM L2.  I have never used it to restore a
whole registry, but I have used it to restore the Current User hive, and
it worked.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert