ADSM-L

Re: Win NT Registry Restore from Inactive Version

1997-06-15 21:49:08
Subject: Re: Win NT Registry Restore from Inactive Version
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 20:49:08 -0500
Andy,

 The ADSM backup runs the WinNT regback utility to backup all possible
registry data to the ADSM.SYS subdir.  ADSM then runs normal file backups
against this directory.  Your normal file management rules work on this
directory so you may or may not have previous versions depending on your
ADSM server setup.

Time limitations being what they are I have not been able to play around
with using registry data from previous versions.  Depending if you intend
to overlay entire sub-trees or just specific data, the methodology will
obviously be very different.  For example, to overlay the system hive you
should just be able to copy the restored version of the SYSTEM file to the
directory c:\winntroot\system32\config\ and just reboot.

To get back just specific data from that past registry would require a
little playing around.  I cannot find any method to open another copy of a
local registry file with either regedit or regedt32.  If I had to get back
just specific data from a past registry  I would overlay that hive/file
(assuming no major hardware or software changes had been made) and then
export the desired data using regedit.  You can then switch back using the
copy/reboot method again and the import the desired information.

If anyone else in this forum has a better suggestion or past experience in
doing this, please pipe in.

Good Luck,
Dan T.