ADSM-L

Re: NT and 2.1.6 client problems continue

1997-06-12 15:03:04
Subject: Re: NT and 2.1.6 client problems continue
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:03:04 -0400
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Brown, Steven M wrote:

| Thanks for the input.  NFS is not being used... however, I did notice
| that cdrom towers were mentioned as a possible cause... and something
| about zero available capacity and music cdroms(?).

| While we don't have a tower, we do have a microtest discport (network
| cdrom server) with five individual cdrom drives attached to it.  There
| is also a single cdrom drive on the server itself and all the cdrom
| drives are shared from the server.  Also, these drives never contain
| audio cdroms - only data.  Seems like zero available capacity on a file
| system (what you have w/a cdrom) should be handled by ADSM and not cause
| a divide-by-zero abend.

| The question is (if a cdrom is causing the error), what is the actual
| problem and how is it solved?  Input from IBM?

We just isolated a problem here as well.  We're running ADSM client
(2.1.6) on WinNT40 workstation.  We just reinstalled the client a few
days ago and ADSM was happy as a clam.  Today we reinstalled Transarc's
AFS client for WinNT.  Whamo!  ADSM is out of commission.  Any attempts by
the scheduler or other client binaries cause an immediate crash of that
program--not the workstation.

We'll experiment to try and narrow down the problem further.  Did try to
limit the client to just the "c:" drive, but no change.  I have logged a
call with ADSM Support on this problem.

Sounds like one thing common in this thread is possibly dealing with
remote filesystems???  Interested in other comments.

Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development