ADSM-L

Re: Migrating ADSM to another Server

1997-05-23 13:20:18
Subject: Re: Migrating ADSM to another Server
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 12:20:18 -0500

> I currently have an AIX V2R1.5 Server with 4 SCSI Attached 3590's in a 3494
> ATL and am in the process of planning a migration to another AIX Server.  Are
> there any White Papers,  Red Books,  Tips & Techniques, etc. that would be
> helpfull in the planning process.
>
> Thanks,
>
> William Fitzsimons
> Novartis Pharmaceuticals
> william.fitzsimons AT pharma.novartis DOT com

I just did this, moving an ADSM/AIX V2R1.0.9 (AIX3.2.5) server on a 340 to an
ADSM/AIX V2R1.0.11 (AIX3.2.5) server on a 590.  It went surprisingly smoothly,
especially considering the nature of AIX ;-)

Devices attached were:

5 FWDiff SCSI disks for staging pools, and a 60-cart DLT4000 library (Q47).

Steps were:

        -2) Install AIX server pl 11 on the 590.
        -1) Locate your ADSM feature license keys.  You will need them.

        0) MAKE A GOOD FULL DATABASE BACKUP, and make sure you have a
           CURRENT BACKUP OF /usr/lpp/adsmserv!

        1) Shut down ADSM on the 340.
        2) varyoffvg my ADSM volume group.
        3) export (via SMITTY) the ADSM volume group.
        4) Power down the 340 and the 590.
        5) Move all necessary adapters to the 590 from the 340.
        6) Move all attached ADSM equipment to the 590 adapters.
                (library, disk pools).
        7) Power on all equipment.
        8) Make sure ADSMSERV is not running on the 340 OR 590.
            (take the server start lines out of the inittab on the 340)
        9) copy from the 340 to the 590:
                a) /usr/lpp/adsmserv/dsmserv.opt
                b) /usr/lpp/adsmserv/dsmserv.dsk
                c) any device configuration files you have
                d) any volume history files you have.
        10) Import volume group from 340 (If you have LV's
            already on the destination machines that are named
            the same as some on the imported VG, they will be
            renamed.  IT IS IMPORTANT TO UPDATE THE DEVICENAMES
            in /usr/lpp/adsmserv/dsmserv.dsk TO REFLECT THE NEW
            NAMES.)
        11) Within SMIT, define any of the ADSM support hardware
            that wasn't defined at IPL, and note the names of the
            devices that were.  Save this info for later.
        12) Start the new ADSM server.  If your /usr/lpp/adsmserv/dsmserv.dsk
            points to the right places, your database will come online, and
            the new server will be none the wiser of its move.
        13) If the (library or tape drive) devnames are different on the
            destination platform, start an administrative session, and update
            the appropriate devices in the ADSM definitions.
        14) Re-enter all the feature keys you have.  (i.e. DRM, etc...)
        15) Update TCPSERVERADDRESS in all dsm.opt files in your network
            to reflect the new server address, if applicable.
        16) RESTART all client schedulers, and RESTART all HSM daemon
            processes on clients, so they will be communicating with the
            right server.

        If you have been careful, your system should now be active in the
        state it was before you moved it.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT.  These are the events as I remember them.
You should review them, and note any suspicious points.  I may write a paper
on this, so any please notify me of any discrepancies...

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================