ADSM-L

Re: ADSM & AutoSys / Maestro -Reply

1997-05-23 13:37:47
Subject: Re: ADSM & AutoSys / Maestro -Reply
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 13:37:47 -0400
>In implementing an enterprise wide job management/job processing
>solution, does it make sense to have a scheduling package kick off
>ADSM client services or use the ADSM server/client to manage
>that piece of it?
>We are evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of schedulers and
>trying to determine if it makes sense.  Any experiences?
>  Keenan Stratton

I've used the ADSM scheduler and host scheduling.  Using the ADSM
scheduler is good for basic event kickoff, but has its drawbacks:
 - doing log cut-offs is awkward this way
 - though some time randomization is possible, it will still not
   protect you against contention for drives with other clients
   trying to do backup at the same time, for example
 - you need to have a client process which always sits there, thus
   taking up memory, control block space, etc.
 - if you change the options files you have to manually restart the
   client process because it isn't smart enough to re-read the file
 - I have found that such client processes can fail for lack of
   memory over time, and can easily get hung up when there is a
   server problem.
My preference now is to have the host control the scheduling of ADSM
client work, which provides greater control and flexibility as well as
eliminating the mentioned drawbacks.
        Richard Sims   Boston University OIT